Believe it or not, your gutters are one of the most important parts of your roofing system. They remove water from your roof, and keep it away from your home and foundation. Depending on where you live, how many trees are in the area, etc, experts recommend cleaning your gutters a minimum of 2-4 times a year to ensure that they are functioning properly.
What are some of the primary causes of clogged gutters?
- Leaves, twigs, and tree debris
- Beyond clogging the gutter, seeds can start to grow trees, weeds, and even flowers in your gutters.
- Birds’ nests/animals
- Gutters supply a semi-sheltered area for nests. Additionally, it is not unusual to find dead animals blocking a gutter system.
- Rot and sludge
- This is caused by decaying leaves, animals, etc. As it continues to build, more and more debris becomes trapped.
What damage can a clogged gutter cause?
- Roof damage/leaks
- Roofs are not meant to hold standing water. When gutters clog, water can back up and sit on the edge of the roof. This can cause damage to your roof deck, and ultimately leaking inside your home.
- Foundation damage
- Compromised gutters allow water to pool around the foundation. This sitting water can result in cracks to the foundation, mold, and even flooding in your basement.
- Wood damage
- Much of your gutter’s support system is made of wood (as are many houses!). Pooled water can result in rot.
- Ice damming
- Clogged gutters allow water to sit…and in the winter, to freeze. This can result in ice dams and large icicles. These not only cause a hazard, they can result in roof leaks, and damage to your gutters.
- Paint damage and stains
- Clogs often allow water to flow directly down the side of the house, causing damage to your paint, or stains on your siding.
So…where do gutter guards fit into all of this? They eliminate clogged gutters and prevent damage. It’s that simple.
Gutter guards are installed over your gutters, and keep debris out, while still allowing water to flow through—best of all, they require little to no maintenance!
That being said, not all gutter guards are created equal. Allstate Roofing & More, LLC is the exclusive Western New York installer of MasterShield® gutter guards. These gutter guards attach to the front lip of the gutter, slide under the first course of shingles, and are attached to the gutter’s front edge using stainless steel screws—they angle with your roof, allowing water to easily flow. Additionally, they are made of micro mesh, which creates a filtration system that blocks any debris larger than half the width of your hair! The best part is that the installation methodology is approved by major shingle manufacturers not to void their warranties. The gutter guards come with technology that allows for the water to be pulled through, while the other debris quickly dries and blows away.
To learn more about MasterShield®, and for a free estimate for residential customer, contact us at 585-400-7663 or firstname.lastname@example.org